Letters have now been issued by DfE to all RHI beneficiaries. Ricardo have been appointed to carry out the inspections. The text of the letters is below:
“INSPECTION PROGRAMME FOR THE NON-DOMESTIC RENEWABLE HEAT INCENTIVE SCHEME”
I am writing to inform you that the Department for the Economy (DfE) has appointed Ricardo Energy & Environment (Ricardo) to undertake the inspection programme for the non-domestic renewable heat incentive (RHI) scheme. This page answers questions about the inspections: https://www.economy-ni.gov.uk/rhi-inspections-questions
The inspection programme will commence on 21 August 2017 and will consist of both announced and unannounced inspections. The Renewable Heat Incentive Scheme Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2012 permit the inspection of RHI installations and your co-operation with facilitating access to your site(s) during the inspection programme would be appreciated. If you are selected for an announced inspection you will receive notification from Ricardo. The inspection process will involve a technical check and business analysis of each installation. Where there are multiple installations on a site the business analysis will involve a holistic view of the site. The following will be assessed for each installation:
- Compliance with the Scheme Regulations and supporting Scheme Guidance including the participant’s ongoing obligations and, in particular, assess:
- if the heat is being used for an eligible purpose; and
- whether there is any evidence of heat being wasted.
- The business operation of each installation:
- including, but not limited to, costs incurred and RHI income generated;
- if the heat use is economically justifiable (based on the amount of heat used for the purpose undertaken); and
- if the energy management practices in place conform to industry standards and best practice.
The inspector will also request invoices relating to the RHI installation, its ongoing maintenance and invoices for the fuel used in biomass installations. I wish to thank you for your cooperation with this inspection process and if you require any further information please contact the Department at RHIinspections@economy-ni.gov.uk